Recipe Shed - Theme is Mince!


Time to link up and share a recipe thanks to Keith at Chronicles of a Reluctant Housedad. I love food, I love cooking and I love this week's theme which is 'mince'

My Dad loathes mince, no idea why, must be a childhood thing. Recently managed to work out why he hates mashed potato though. When  young, his Dad was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer. At the time drug therapy was limited. It was generally treated by resting the bowel, which meant lots of easily digested and bland food. So he had mashed potato and poached fish in milk for about 2 years! I think he's been scarred for life!

But anyway, I digress! Onto my recipe this week, which is as usual a Slimming World favourite of mine, minced beef hash. It's tasty, comforting, easy to cook and cheap! Plus its a one pot wonder, all fabulous plus points! It's taken from Extra Easy Meals in Minutes book from Slimming World.

Mince Beef Hash

Serves 4

Extra Easy is Free, Original is 3 Syns, Green is 7.5 Syns

1 cal cooking spray
2 onions, peeled and finely diced
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 green chilli, deseed and finely chopped
450g extra lean minced beef
1 carrot, peeled and diced
300g of potato, peeled and diced
400g can of tomatos
100ml beef stock
1 tsp dried oregano
4 tsp of chopped parsley
salt and pepper

Spray a large frying pan with 1 cal and stir-fry the onions for a couple of minutes. They sometimes stick for me, so I add a little bit of water.

Add the garlic, cummin and green chilli, giving it a stir to release the flavours

Add the mince and cook on high, stirring all the time to break up the lumps until its sealed and browned.

Add the carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, stock and oregano and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes (I find it sometimes take a little bit longer, but I promise its worth it!)

Once done, remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and season

We all love this dish! I have also added parsnip or swede which adds to the earthy flavours. I prefer it a little spicier, so sprinkle chilli flakes over mine once served.

Hope you give it and try, let me know what you think! I don't forget to check out other mince recipes over at the Recipe Shed

No comments:

Post a Comment