Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Pilaf

Was convinced I was going to be the only person to enjoy this particular recipe. But for once I was proved wrong, they all loved it! I got it from the Slimming World recipe book Extra Easy Meals in Minutes, but am sure it will be on their website as well.

The Slimming World plan is working so well for me and they have hundreds of meals which don't feel like 'diet' food.

This is a one pot dish, which takes about 20 minutes to complete plus 15 minutes standing time. It's filling, cheap and flavoursome!

Serves 4
Each serving is
2.5 Syns on Extra Easy or Green
16 Syns on Original

Ingredients
Low calorie cooking spray
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic glove, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp groun cinnamon
175g dried fine bulgar wheat
350ml vegetable stock
200g bottled roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped (I actually cooked my own up instead)
400g can chickpeas, drained
25g pack of dill, finely chopped
28g pack of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped mint (this for me is what made the meal)
110g reduced fat feta cheese, roughly chopped or crumbled
salt and black pepper

Instructions
Spray a heavy-based saucepan with low caloried cooking spray and add the onion, garlic, ground cumin, ground cinnamon and bulgar wheat. Place over a medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the grains.

Pour the stock into the saucepan, stir well, then bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat and cook on a gentle simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

Remove from the heat and add the red peppers and chickpeas, without stirring them in (don't know why, I just do as I'm told!) cover and allow to stand for 15 minutes

Just before serving remove the lid and fluff up the grains with a fork, mixing in the red peppers and chickpeas. Carefully fold in the herbs (fresh ones are best for this recipe) and scatter over the feta cheese.

Season to taste and serve hot, warm or cold (I found it was surprisingly hot at this stage, enough for me to not have to zap it)

You can swap the bulgar wheat for couscous or replace the chickpeas with canned mixed beans.

I actually cooked my own peppers with some cherry tomotoes, think this can be a very versitile recipe! Am looking forward to cooking extra and having it cold for lunch!

Let me know if you try this and what you think by leaving a comment. Any suggestions for other variations you can think of?

1 comment:

  1. As one of the willing guinea pigs mentioned above, I can confirm that it was indeed absolutely scrummy! Although I'm not strictly following the SW diet like the talented Mrs C, I'm eating healthily using some of the recipes from SW and it just doesn't taste like dieting!

    My suggestion is give this recipe a go - it's very flavoursome and you feel angelic and full at the same time. Thank you Fay. x

    ReplyDelete